Toggle menu

Slyfield community recycling centre closure

The Slyfield community recycling centre will be closed from 15 June to 30 June 2024 for essential maintenance. Find out more about alternative community recycling centres. (opens new window)

Apply for a pavement licence

What you need to know

A pavement licence allows your business to put removable furniture on the pavement.

If you want to apply for pavement licence there are rules you have to follow. To place removable furniture such as:

  • tables
  • chairs

outside of cafes bars, and restaurants.

Pavement licence rules

  • you must be a food business to apply for a pavement licence. This includes selling food on or off your premises
  • the license duration has now been increased. The time for consultation on licenses has also been increased
  • applications go through a 14 day consultation period. We will then make a decision on your licence
  • you cannot appeal a refused licence
  • you will not get a refund if your licence is not approved
  • we have authority to take away furniture that has been put out without a valid license

The pavement licence on its own does not allow you to trade. You must apply for:

  • a premises licence if you're selling alcohol or late-night refreshments
  • a club premises certificate if you're supplying alcohol
  • a street trading consent if you're selling items in the street. This includes selling food or drink

We offer pre-application advice on this licence.

You can view our recently received pavement licence applications.


Fees for renewals and new licenses are capped at our standard fee.

The new application fee is £500

Renewal application fees are £350

How to advertise your application

You must:

  1. use this  notice (Word doc) [17KB]  to advertise your application.
  2. display the notice the next working day after your application is valid for 14 days
  3. take a photo of the notice in place and send it to: with your application
  4. tell any residents and businesses that your application may affect. This is important so people can let you know their concerns
  5. talk to other nearby businesses who may be applying for a pavement licence. It's better if you're not applying for the same pavement area for use at the same time

Apply for a pavement licence

The following documents are needed to submit your application:

  • plan of area 
  • evidence of right to occupy area
  • images of furniture and any other objects (e.g. chairs, umbrellas)
  • proof of public liability insurance
  • plan showing the location of the premises outlined by a red line
  • evidence of the notice displayed

To renew a licence without any changes you will need to provide:

  • proof of public liability insurance

Start your application

To make this application you will need to:

  1. create an account, or log in to the licensing portal
  2. after logging in select 'licensing' from the side menu
  3. select 'Business and Planning'
  4. you can then select the licence to apply for or renew

Apply for a Pavement Licence (opens new window)

After you submit your application

When we receive your application, we will contact the relevant organisations. 

Please read the pavement licensing policy (PDF) [343KB] for any further details.