Pay your council tax
Pay your council tax by direct debit
Direct debit is the easiest way to pay. Payments are backed by the direct debit guarantee. We'll request payment from your bank on the second day of the month. If this falls on a weekend or public holiday it will be the next working day.
How to set up, change or cancel a direct debit
To set up, change or cancel a direct debit, you'll need to:
- log in to your MyGuildford account
- click the 'council tax and benefits' tile
- select 'continue' on the 'view other services' page
- select 'council tax' on the 'your services' page
- on your account summary page, find the list of quick links.
- if you're using a computer or laptop these will be on the right-hand side of the screen
- if you're using a mobile device, click 'quick links'
- in the list of quick links find 'Change my method of payment'
- fill in the form
If you're setting up a direct debit you'll need to tell us:
- your name
- address of your bank or building society
- your sort code
- your bank account number
You may need a reference number for some building society accounts.
Once the form is complete, we'll contact you if we need further information. We aim to setup or change your account within 10 working days.
How to set up a direct debit if you're new customer
To set up a direct debit online you'll need to:
Once you have a council tax account number you'll need to:
- link your council tax account with your MyGuildford account
To link both accounts you'll need:
- your council tax account number - found on your latest bill
- your name exactly as it appears on your council tax bill
- postcode of your property
- national insurance number if you:
- have applied for Local Council Tax Support
- are named on a council tax support application
Watch our video to find out more about linking your council tax account and your MyGuildford account.
When your account is linked to MyGuildford follow the steps above to setup a direct debit.
Pay your council tax online
Pay your council tax by phone
This automated service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
What you'll need:
- your council tax account number
- a debit or credit card
We do not accept JCB, American Express or Diners cards.
Make a payment by calling: 03300 889 584.
Pay your council tax by standing order or online banking
Use the following account details to set up a standing order or online banking transfer:
- sort code: 40-22-26
- bank account number: 21850652
Always quote your council tax account number as the reference.
You can find your council tax account number on:
- your council tax bill
- your account summary screen, if you've linked your council tax account with your MyGuildford account
If you bank with HSBC, you can transfer payments from your bank account into the council's bank account.
Contact your local branch to set this up. Our bank account number is: 21850652.