Our sessions start in Pirbright on Monday 30 January 2023
Playrangers is an exciting project which encourages children to play outdoors. Free sessions are held after school in six locations around Guildford. All children are welcome to join.
The Playrangers are qualified and experienced play workers. They run play sessions based on using the natural environment as well as child-led play.
They are a great way for children and young people to:
- get outside
- be active
- make new friends
- learn new skills
We aim sessions at 8 to 12 year olds, but under-8s are welcome if accompanied by an adult.
Our sessions start in Pirbright on Monday 30 January 2023.
Playranger sessions run during term-time every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Sessions run from 3.30pm until 5.30pm. Children can drop in or out at any time.
Sessions will alternate between the following weeks:
- Monday: next to Pirbright Village Hall, Pirbright, GU24 0JE
- Tuesday: Hornhatch Green, Chilworth, Guildford, GU4 8AX
- Wednesday: Park Barn Drive, Park Barn, Guildford, GU2 8EU
- Monday: Bushy Hill Park, Bushy Hill Drive, Guildford, GU4 7HG
- Tuesday: Coronation Gardens, Ash, GU12 5DN
- Wednesday: Bellfields Green, Bellfields, Guildford, GU1 1JT
View Playrangers in a larger map
Information for parents and carers
The Playranger Project is an open access service. This means children are free to come and go as they please. This is not a childcare service. Children under 8 are welcome but must have parental supervision throughout the session. Please read our for more information. All parents with children will be welcome to join in at sessions.
Children will need to wear something appropriate for the weather and expect to get dirty. Playing outside is fun and messy and is likely to lead to grass and mud coming home on children's clothing.
Playrangers believe that children can play in all weathers. Activities are adapted to ensure the children have fun. They will deliver sessions in all weathers, but children must have appropriate clothing.
In hot weather your children need:
- sun hats
- sun cream
- plenty to drink
In cold weather, especially in the evenings, they need:
After you register, each child will only need to provide their name and age for each session. Parents and carers with children attending must provide contact and emergency details.
Benefits of play
Playrangers help children to:
- assess risk
- learn how to keep themselves and others safe
- build social interaction skills
- share food and equipment
- develop fine motor skills
- improve hand/eye co-ordination
- boost team working and communication
- learn new skills to improve self-esteem
- take part in activities they wouldn't be able to
Fun ideas from the Playrangers
Watch our video for fun and creative ideas to keep children and young people entertained.
Book Playrangers for your event
Our Playrangers team has a wealth of experience in supporting children.
Activities offered by the team include:
- smoothie bike
- marshmallow toasting on the fire bowl
- face painting
- den building
- sumo suits
- arts and crafts
- steel pan drums
- obstacle course
- tarpaulin slip and slide
Making an enquiry
If you are making an enquiry, we need to know the:
- date and location of your event
- length of time the team will be required at the event
- target group for the event
- expected turnout of the event
- activity choice
For more information, please call 01483 505050.