Apply for a sex establishment licence
To run a sex establishment in the borough you need a licence from us. You'll need to renew your licence every year.
Sex establishments include:
- sex cinemas, showing R18-certificate films
- sex shops, premises, vehicles, or stalls used for selling or showing sex articles. This may include videos, DVDs, and books.
- sexual entertainment venues. This is where nude or sexually provocative performances are performed live in front of an audience
- be over 18
- ensure that no one under 18 works or visits your premises
- have not had a licence ban or a licence refused in the last 12 months
- have been a UK resident for the last six months
We offer pre-application advice on this licence.
The application fee to apply for this licence is £1615.00 and is non-refundable even if the licence is declined
The venue grant fee is £164.80 which only applies if your licence is granted
This form will guide you through how to apply for a licence for a sex establishment.
After you apply you must:
- publish an advert about your application in a local newspaper
- display a notice about your application in or near your premises
The public and businesses can support or appeal your application.
Application for Grant of a Sexual Entertainment Venue Licence [272.37KB]
Consultation on draft licensing policy
The legislation enables local authorities to have a policy and conditions relating to:
- sexual entertainment venues
- sex shops
- sex cinemas
Guildford currently does not have any licensed Sexual Entertainment Venues.
We are currently holding a consultation for our residents, workers and other stakeholders, to gather views on the draft licensing policy (PDF) [484KB] .
You can send your comments to: