Toggle menu

Our payment system will be down from 7pm until midnight tonight

You'll be unable to make payments to us from 7pm until midnight tonight. This is for essential maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Council tax information for landlords

When should an owner or landlord pay council tax?​

In most situations, tenants must:

  • pay council tax from the date their tenancy agreement starts
  • pay up to the end of their agreement

The landlord must:

  • pay council tax for any gaps between tenants

There are a few situations where an owner must pay council tax, even where the property is being rented out. These include:​

  • houses in multiple occupation​
  • care homes​
  • houses for religious communities​
  • some homes occupied by domestic servants​

Furnished and unoccupied property​

If the property is furnished and unoccupied, there is no discount. This is often called a second home charge, even if the property is not used as a second home.​

Long term empty home charge​

When the home has been empty and unfurnished for two years, the charge will rise. Find out more about long term empty homes premium charges.​

Report a change to a tenanted property​

report a change to your tenanted property