Toggle menu

Disruption to water services and amber weather warning

If you live in GU5 or GU6 you may be experiencing low water pressure or shortages. Visit Thames Water for updates.  

Met Office have issued an amber weather warning for thunderstorms. You can visit our pages for advice during a flood. For further advice or information visit the Met Office.

Council tax information for landlords

When should an owner or landlord pay council tax?​

In most situations, your tenant must pay council tax from the date their tenancy agreement starts. They must pay up to the end of their agreement. You must pay council tax for any gap between tenants.

There are a few situations where an owner must pay council tax, even where the property is being rented out. These include:​

  • houses in multiple occupation​
  • care homes​
  • houses for religious communities​
  • some homes occupied by domestic servants​

Furnished and unoccupied property​

If the property is furnished and unoccupied, there is no discount. This is often called a second home charge, even if the property is not used as a second home.​

Long term empty home charge​

When the home has been empty and unfurnished for two years, the charge will rise. Find out more about long term empty homes premium charges.​

Report a change to a tenanted property​

You can report a change to your tenanted property online.