Care and Repair Team
The Care and Repair Team offers support and help to eligible home owners and private renting tenants who need to adapt or improve their homes so they can carry on living by themselves. We can also help with essential repairs.
Guildford and Waverley Care and Repair is a Home Improvement Agency based in Guildford Borough Council's offices. Call the Care and Repair Team on 01483 505050.
Who we help
We aim to help older people and people with disabilities, who are either home owners or who privately rent their home, so they can live safely, securely and comfortably in their homes.
What we do
Whatever repairs or improvements your home needs to make it more comfortable or easier to live in, the friendly Care and Repair team will help you find the best solution.
We can act on your behalf by:
- finding out if you're eligible for a disabled facilities grant or home improvement grant
- getting our surveyor to draw up a scheme to meet your needs
- tendering to approved contractors for the best price
- supervising contractors' work
We will visit your home and offer free advice on practical solutions for the following:
- adaptations - lifts (stair, vertical and bath lifts), wheelchair ramps, ground floor extensions
- repairs and improvements - re-wiring, plumbing, roof repairs, gutters and down pipes, re-roofing, damp treatment, repairs to and new windows, central heating
- making the most of your income - income support, attendance allowance
Handy Person Service
We also offer a Handy Person Service for small repairs for residents in our borough.
The Handy Person Service offers help with:
- security measures - door chains, door locks, window locks
- safety measures - comprehensive home check for accident prevention, smoke detectors, grab rails
- energy efficiency - energy saving light bulbs, insulation, draught proofing
The advice given by the Care and Repair team is free and you are under no obligation to go ahead with any work.
If you do wish to make improvements you may be eligible for a grant to help pay for the work. Alternatively we can advise you on how to fund the work yourself.
Once you have decided what needs to be done, we can help you choose reputable builders who will supply estimates for the cost of work. The Care and Repair team can organise and supervise the job from start to finish, for which a fee is payable. However where a grant is received this will also cover the fee.