We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We also set analytics cookies to help us improve it, this information is collected in a way that does not allow us to identify anyone. Find out more about our cookies and how to block them. Find out more about Cookies

Variation of the designated premises supervisor

If your designated premises supervisor (DPS) has left the business, or has had their personal licence suspended, an application to vary the DPS will have to be made. The application will need to specify another personal licence holder who can take responsibility for the business.

Apply online

You can apply online to vary the DPS. The application form must be completed by the licence holder. You can also complete the consent to be the DPS form online. This must be completed by the proposed DPS who must hold a personal licence.

Apply by post

Complete the icon application to vary the designated premises supervisor [169.82KB]  and the  icon DPS consent form [145.38KB] and send to the Licensing Team with the £23 fee and the current premises licence. (Please note we do not accept cash or cheque payments).

The application to vary a premises licence to specify an individual as designated premises supervisor licensee to give a copy of the form to the existing premises supervisor. The completed form contains personal information about the proposed new DPS and sharing this information would be in breach of the Data Protection Act 1998. It is sufficient for the licensee to inform the DPS that the application has been made, without the need to share the specific details of the application. A full copy of the application form must still be sent to police. The form will be amended via regulations as soon as possible to make this clear.

Only one person can be named as the DPS for a premises, even if there is more than one personal licence holder present.

If the premises does not have a named DPS, then the premises cannot sell or supply alcohol.

As the DPS cannot always be at the premises to authorise each and every sale, they should put in writing the names of the staff who they authorise to sell alcohol. This list should be available on request to any licensing officer.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period, provided the application was correctly made.