Toggle menu

Guildford Museum

About Guildford Museum

Guildford Museum is located within historic buildings next to Guildford Castle Grounds. It's free to visit. The museum is home to a permanent collection of objects from Guildford and the surrounding areas, dating from prehistoric times to the present day. The museum also runs a variety of changing exhibitions.

History of Guildford Museum

Guildford Museum is formed of four main buildings, with various smaller additions. These buildings, Castle Arch House, 48 Quarry Street, the gallery extension and the Muniment Room, date from the mid-16th century to the 1920s. 

historic image

Castle Arch House is partly built using the walls from the gatehouse to the castle. The sheriff of Guildford Castle built the gatehouse in 1256. You can still see the remains of the arch that was part of the gateway. 

Guildford Museum Opening 1911
The museum buildings have had various uses over the years. Castle Arch House was a high-class family home but was later split into five cottages. For many years, a girls' school used 48 Quarry Street and where the Muniment Room was once a garage. 

Image Right: Watercolour of Museum front by Henry James Sage (1868 - 1953).

Image Left: Opening of new museum building 1911.

Watch this short video to find out more about the buildings that form Guildford Museum. The video was created with the help of our skilled volunteers.