Toggle menu

Access our services using MyGuildford

Due to high levels of service requests and applications, our phone lines are much busier than usual. The quickest and easiest way to access our services is by registering for an account at MyGuildford or visiting our self service pages. You can report an issue, make requests and track progress, pay your bills and apply for key services at any time.

Get the latest government advice about coronavirus. Advice for local residents and business can be found on our coronavirus information page.

Do I need planning permission?

Permitted development rights

You do not always need planning permission to make changes to a house. You have permitted development rights to make some changes. Permitted development rights link to many factors including:

  • the position of the work
  • the height of the work
  • the size of the work
  • the materials used for the work

Permitted development rights are different depending on the type of property (e.g. commercial, dwelling). Permitted development rights do not apply to flats or maisonettes unless the owner wants to install solar panels.

We recommend you find out about permitted development rights using the Planning Portal. Their interactive guides show you if you need planning permission.

If you are still unsure, we also have a pre-application advice service to tell you if your plans fall under permitted development rights.

Lawful Development Certificates

Sometimes, you'll need formal confirmation of whether you need planning permission. In this case, you should  (LDC). You can also find information about Lawful Development Certificates on the Planning Portal. You'll have to pay an application fee. If you don't think you need planning permission for a project, you should apply for an LDC. This means you can make sure you do not break the law.

You will also need an LDC if:

  • you need to confirm if your plans were lawful under your permitted development rights. This applies if you have changed the use of a property or carried out development work.
  • you've made unlawful changes to a property, but we have not taken action against you in time. The LDC gives you immunity from any such action in the future.

You must provide enough factual information for us to consider your application. Check Lawful development certificates to find out which information you need to give.