Toggle menu

Slyfield community recycling centre closure

The Slyfield community recycling centre will be closed from 15 June to 30 June 2024 for essential maintenance. Find out more about alternative community recycling centres. (opens new window)

Apply for help with your rent

Do you need help paying your rent?

If you need help paying your rent, in most cases, you will now need to apply for Universal Credit.

You may be able to get Universal Credit if:

  • you're on a low income or out of work
  • you're 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you're 16 to 17)
  • you're under state pension age (or your partner is)
  • you and your partner have £16,000 or less in savings between you

Apply for Universal Credit (opens new window)

Who can claim housing benefit?

You can still apply for housing benefit if any of the following apply:

  • you are of state pension age
  • you live in supported or temporary accommodation

To make a claim you must:

  • rent your home or pay rent as a tenant, lodger or boarder in a hostel or bed and breakfast
  • be on a low income or qualify for other benefits
  • have savings of less than £16,000
  • live in the home you're claiming housing benefit for

In some circumstances you may be able to get housing benefit for two homes, including:


How much benefit will I get?

How much housing benefit you get depends on:

  • your savings
  • money you have coming in
  • money the government thinks you need to live on
  • rent you pay
  • and any other adults who may live in your home

How to apply

You can apply for housing benefit using our online form. Make sure you have your: 

  • National Insurance number for you (and your partner if applicable)
  • full name and date of birth of everyone in your household
  • landlord's details, the amount of rent you pay and any charges included in your rent
  • your household income, savings, investments and expenses 

Apply for housing benefit (opens new window)

What happens next?

We will check your claim and let you know how much benefit you will get. Council tenants get a rent rebate. The benefit is paid into your rent account.

We process benefit claims within 10 working days from all necessary information being sent to us. 

If your benefit changes, the amount of rent you pay changes as well. Private tenants and housing association tenants get a rent allowance. We may pay this direct to you or send payment to your landlord every four weeks, via bank transfer. 

We take steps, where necessary, to minimise overpayments of benefits. When this does happen, we seek to recover the money. We take into account individual circumstances. 

Already on Housing Benefit but still unable to pay rent

If you get housing benefit and are struggling financially, you could get some additional help from a short-term Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

Find out more about Discretionary Housing Payments (opens new window)

We will look at your circumstances to see whether you are eligible for a DHP. We will decide whether to give you a DHP, how much you will be paid and for how long you will receive the payment.

Apply for Discretionary Housing Payment (opens new window)