Toggle menu

Access our services using MyGuildford

Due to high levels of service requests and applications, our phone lines are much busier than usual. The quickest and easiest way to access our services is by registering for an account at MyGuildford or visiting our self service pages. You can report an issue, make requests and track progress, pay your bills and apply for key services at any time.

Get the latest government advice about coronavirus. Advice for local residents and business can be found on our coronavirus information page.

Our website is in beta testing. To find out what that means and to give us feedback, please visit our beta website page.

Report a food problem

 report icon

We investigate complaints about food premises if they relate to a food safety issue in premises located within the borough. We can investigate:

✔ poor kitchen cleanliness

✔ food storage risks

✔ poor food handling practices

✔ pests/vermin in food premises

We will investigate to find the source of the problem, to stop it happening again. We are not able to help you get a refund or make a claim for compensation.

We will need to know:

  • your name, address, telephone contact numbers (mobile, home and work), and email contact details as appropriate
  • any evidence you have including the original packaging, the complaint item, leftover food, till receipts etc
  • where you bought the food, when, the packaging etc.
  • what you have done with the food (e.g. refrigeration or cooking) 
  • the name and address of any witnesses who were there when you discovered the problem
  • whether you have been to hospital or contacted your doctor about your sickness
  • any contact you have had with the vendor or manufacturer

To help us investigate your complaint please bring the item into the Council Offices as soon as possible, together with any evidence.

Food complaints that we do not deal with

If your complaint is about food sold past the use by date, best before date, incorrect labelling, adulteration, misleading claims, or food quality, you should contact: 

Trading Standards

Report a food problem

Investigations will be limited unless you have seen your GP and submitted a faecal specimen for analysis.

It may take several weeks for us to investigate your complaint. Manufacturers have to be contacted and be given the opportunity to conduct their own investigations and provide an explanation as to how the problem occurred. We also contact the local authority where the manufacturer is and the local Environmental Health Officer.

Report a food problem