We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We also set analytics cookies to help us improve it, this information is collected in a way that does not allow us to identify anyone. Find out more about our cookies and how to block them. Find out more about Cookies

Your rights

Your personal information rights

You can make an information rights request by completing our online form.

You have the following rights under the General Data Protection Regulation:

  1. The right to be informed - Find out by reading our Privacy statements or contact the Information Rights Officer at iro@guildford.gov.uk

  2. The right of access - You can request a data subject access request for personal data we may hold about you. A data subject is an individual who is the subject of the personal data.

  3. The right to rectification - If you believe that some of your personal data held by the Council is incorrect, you can request for it to be corrected. If the data is found to be wrong, we will correct it.

  4. The right to erasure - If you believe that the Council is holding your personal data that it no longer needs to hold or does not have a legitimate purpose to do so, you can request that this personal data is erased.

  5. The right to restrict processing - Find out by reading our Privacy statements or contact the Information Rights Officer at iro@guildford.gov.uk

  6. The right to data portability - You can request a copy of any of your personal data that the Council holds or have that personal data sent to another organisation where that is technically possible. We must provide the personal data in a accessible format. You have a right to data portability where:

    1. The personal data has been provided by you and exercising your right to data portability does not adversely affect the rights and freedoms of others and

    2. The Council processes that personal data based on your consent or

    3. Processing is necessary for the performance of a contract with the Council to which you are a party or, at your request, in order to take steps necessary prior to entering into a contract or

    4. The processing is carried out by automated means.

  7. The right to object - You can object to the Council processing your personal data where the basis for processing is that:

    1. It is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the Council. If you object, the Council will no longer process the personal data unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing that override your interests, rights and freedoms or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims. or

    2. It is processed for the purposes of direct marketing. If you object, the Council will stop processing that personal data with immediate effect

  8. Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling - You can object to not be the subject to a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling, which produces legal or similarly significant affects. If your objection is successful, the Council must implement suitable measures to safeguard your rights and freedoms and legitimate interests. This must at least include the introduction of human intervention to express their point of view and to contest the decision.

    This right does not apply where:

    1. The decision is necessary for entering into, or the performance of a contract between you and the Council or

    2. The decision is authorised by Union or Member State Law to which the Council is subject and which lays down suitable measures to safeguard your rights and freedoms and legitimate interests or

    3. The decision is based on your explicit consent.

Processing of special categories of personal data as defined by the General Data Protection Regulation is not allowed unless certain conditions are in place.

You are entitled to see your personal information, with some specific exceptions. For example, you will not usually be allowed to see personal information that contains details about someone else - even a member of your own family - until that person has given permission.

In cases where any personal information relates to your health, we may need to ask the relevant health professional for permission to reveal this to you.

There may be rare occasions when we cannot give you access to your personal information because, for very good and valid reasons, we believe it would not be in your best interests to see it. If this is the case, we will give you a full explanation at the time so that you understand why we have made this decision.

    How you will receive your information

    We usually provide an electronic copy of the information and we will send it to you in an encrypted email. The first time you receive an encrypted email from us you will need to set up a user name and password. You only need to do this once as you can use the same user name and password to access any encrypted information we send you in future.

    If you cannot receive the encrypted email, we may print the information from the computer system or take a photocopy of your manual file. If it is not possible for us to provide you with a copy of your information, we will arrange for you to view the information at a mutually convenient time.

    We aim to respond to all requests for personal information within one month of receiving your correctly filled-in application form.

    Requesting CCTV images

    The police operate the town centre CCTV system so if you would like to see recordings of your activities from this system you would need to contact Surrey Police directly. However, we do operate some smaller CCTV systems for security in Council buildings.

    If you want to see CCTV images we may hold, we will ask you to provide some quite specific information, such as:

    • Where the CCTV camera is (the address and position)
    • The date and time that the image was taken
    • A recent photograph to help us identify the relevant images
    • A description of the likely activities the CCTV took
    • Whether you need a hard copy of the images or if a 'viewing' would be enough