Our sustainability priorities and progress
We want to provide a safe, clean and attractive borough, reduce our energy consumption and promote sustainability.
Find out about our aims and achievements and view our sustainability policies.
What is sustainability?
What we've done
Installed photovoltaic panels on some council buildings, saving approximately 90 tonnes of CO2 emissions annually.
Replaced old, inefficient boilers in our housing stock with 340 'A' rated condensing boilers.
Increased the waste recycling rate.
Updated crematorium facilities with new cremators, saving costs and reducing the impact on the environment.
Achieved Green Flag status for Guildford's parks and green spaces.
Achieved Purple Flag status for town centre management at night.
Completed Onslow Park and Ride facility.
Introduced a Green Scheme, allowing electric vehicle owners to receive discounted parking in car parks.
Created the Guildford Hydro project
Built new council homes with solar photovoltaic panels
- Installed over 150 air source heat pumps in our housing stock.
- Set out a Local Plan to make Guildford borough fit for future generations.
What we're doing now
- Climate Emergency Declaration
- Setting up climate change fund to deliver more ambitious carbon reductions in line with commitments.
- Developing a long term Transport Strategy.
- Aiming for 70% recycling of household waste.
- Looking to maximise the generation of our own clean energy.
For more information on our sustainability progress and plans, read our Corporate Plan for 2018-2023
Sustainable development policies
We are committed to building sustainability into all our decision-making processes.