Find out what to do in a power cut or utility failure
Call 105 to get information and help during a power cut or visit Powercut105.com . This free service will put you through to your local electricity network operator.
Tips on what to do during a power cut
- turn off all electrical appliances that are not safe to be left unattended
- leave a light on, so you'll know when the power cut is over
- add layers of clothing to keep warm.
How to prepare for a power cut
- keep a torch in a handy place
- keep blankets or warm layers of clothing in an easily accessible place
- ensure you have some store-cupboard foods and drinks that don't require electricity to prepare
- keep your mobile phone and laptop fully charged.
If you smell gas, and for all other gas-related emergencies, call the National Grid Emergency Call Centre on 0800 111 999.
If you are affected by a loss of water supply, call the phone number given on your water bill, or check your water company's website.
Water companies are required to provide alternative supplies during an outage, such as bottled water.
Priority Services Register
The Priority Services Register is a list held by utility providers of residents who might need extra support during an outage; for example, people who need electricity for vital medical equipment.
For more information on joining the register visit the Citizens Advice website.