We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We also set analytics cookies to help us improve it, this information is collected in a way that does not allow us to identify anyone. Find out more about our cookies and how to block them. Find out more about Cookies

Apply for a full street trading consent

Find out how to apply for full street trading consent in our borough and see the rules for mobile trading, trading from a static location, a lay-by or Guildford town centre.

Trading from a static location

If you want to trade from a specific location for more than 28 days in a year, you need to get planning permission or a certificate of lawful use. Contact our Planning Service to find out how to do this.

Without planning permission you can only be granted consent for up to 28 days in a calendar year.

You will also need written permission from the landowner.

Check your site is suitable for trading

Before applying for street trading consent, you should check your site is suitable.

Trading consent may be refused if:

  • the site location, or customers visiting the site, are likely to cause road safety issues, such as blocking sightlines for drivers or problems for pedestrians
  • there are concerns over the number of personal injury accidents near the site
  • there are likely to be problems caused by traffic, noise, rubbish, vermin, odour or fumes
  • there is already similar provision close to your site
  • the site causes parking problems for you, your staff or customers, or has waiting limits
  • the site is not well lit and trading carries on after dusk

Trading in Guildford town centre

Traders who want to trade in the town centre should apply to our North Street Market or regular Farmers' Market events.

Guildford town centre is a main regional shopping destination and our Street Trading Policy supports established town centre businesses.

If we allow large numbers of street traders, it may take business away from town centre shops. 

Trading in a lay-by

If you trade from a lay-by it must:

  • be wide enough to allow vehicles to park and pass
  • be long enough to allow several large vehicles to park easily
  • have a verge (at least 1m wide) separating it from the road.

Mobile street trading

If you want to apply for a consent to trade from many locations in our borough (for instance, if you own an ice cream van and drive around) tell us which areas you wish to trade from on the application form.

No consent will normally be given for trading in the following town centre areas:

High Street, North Street, Castle Street, Commercial Road, Woodbridge Road (between North Street and Leapale Road), Leapale Road, Tunsgate, Chertsey Street, Quarry Street (between High Street and Castle Hill), Market Street, Swan Lane, Onslow Street, Bridge Street, Ward Street, Upper High Street, Alexandra Terrace, Bedford Road (between Onslow Street and Laundry Road) and Guildford Railway Station.

If you wish to trade from car parks, parks or open spaces, you will need give us written permission from the landowner, at least 10 working days before you start trading from the location.

You must still follow any road traffic restrictions, local regulations and byelaws.

How to apply/renew street trading consent

If applying for your first consent, you should apply at least two months before you wish to start trading. 

We strongly advise that you do not invest in equipment or stock until a consent has been granted.

If you are applying to renew a consent, which does not need to go through a full consultation process, you should apply at least 10 working days before it expires.

A consent can last for a maximum of 12 months.

Licensing pre-application advice service

Please consider using our licensing pre-application advice service to help with your application.

What you need

For new and renewal applications, you need to supply:

  • a completed icon Street Trading application form [206.84KB]
  • the fee of £338. Pay by debit/credit card by calling 01483 505050 (the fee is returned if your application is refused)
  • a clear copy of a map if trading from a fixed site. The map must show the site position. (If you are not trading from a fixed site, your map must show all possible locations you wish to trade from.)
  • colour photographs showing the front, side and rear of your stall, van, barrow, cart etc
  • layout plan of the stall, van, barrow, cart etc showing internal and external dimensions
  • if trading from a vehicle, you must supply copies of the V5C and current MOT certificate
  • clear electronic passport style photograph of the applicant if not a limited company and if the applicant is unable to supply photographic proof of identity and right to work (passport or residence permit)
  • if you are applying as an individual, you must supply photographic proof of identity and right to work (passport or residence permit)
  • a disclosure barring service (DBS) check (dated within the last 3 years) for the applicant
  • a copy of a current certificate of insurance that covers the street trading activity for third party and public liability risks, to at least £5 million
  • proof of consent from land owner
  • proof of planning permission (if intending to trade more than 28 days in a year).

What happens next?

Once your application has been received, we will consult the relevant parties for 28 days before making our decision. You may be asked to put a notice on your proposed site to advertise your application, and to write to local residents and/or businesses to tell them about it. (Download a  icon template for the advert notice [37.4KB] )

If you have been asked by us to advertise your application and fail to do so, your application may be turned down.

For more details about the organisations we contact about your application, what happens to it if there is an objection, and what we take into account to decide whether it should be accepted, please read our  icon Street Trading Policy [81.05KB] .

You may not start trading before the consent has been granted, as trading without a consent is an offence.

View online the street trading consent applications recently received