We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We also set analytics cookies to help us improve it, this information is collected in a way that does not allow us to identify anyone. Find out more about our cookies and how to block them. Find out more about Cookies

Apply for a pavement licence

Find out how to apply for a pavement (café) licence in our borough.

What you need to know

You must be a registered food business to apply for a pavement licence.

If you are applying for a licence, it means you are:

  • carrying on (or planning on) selling food or drink from your business.
  •  this might be for drinking/eating on or off your premises.

The pavement licence on its own does not allow you to trade. You must still apply for:

  • a premises licence if you are selling alcohol or late-night refreshments
  • a club premises certificate if you are supplying alcohol
  • a street trading consent if you are selling items outside where the public go without paying

What you need

  • a completed icon pavement licence application form [222.8KB]
  • £100 fee. Pay by debit/credit card by calling 01483 505050
  • a premises location plan shown by a red line, so the application site is clear.
  • a clear plan showing the suggested pavement licence area in relation to the street. It does not need to be to scale but the measurements must be clear. The plan must show:
    • how many tables and chairs there will be and their positions
    • any other items that you might have on the street
    • the width/length of the pavement, building and any other items
  • the days of the week and times of day when you will be using the pavement
  • the length of the licence (for example, 3 months, 6 months, or a year)
  • photos or leaflets showing the type of furniture you will use
  • if you are already applying for a pavement licence with Surrey County Council Highways, which is in process, please give the reference
  • proof that you have advertised your application (see below for details)
  • a copy of a current insurance certificate for third party and public liability risks. This must be for at least £10 million.

Send all of the above documents to regulatoryservices@guildford.gov.uk. If you send an incomplete application, we will reject it and you will have to start the process again. The statutory consultation period starts when we receive your complete application.

How to advertise the application

You must:

  • put a icon notice [17.89KB]  up to advertise your application at the end of the next working day after you have submitted a valid application. This is the date from when the 7 day consultation starts
  • take a photograph of the notice in place and send it to regulatoryservices@guildford.gov.uk
  • tell any local residents and businesses that your application may affect
  • it is important to tell anyone affected by your plans so you can listen to their concerns.
  • talk to other nearby businesses who may be applying for a pavement licence. It's better if you're not applying for the same pavement area for use at the same time.

What happens next?

When we receive your application, we will contact the relevant organisations. This consultation takes 7 days from the day of the application.

Please read the icon pavement licensing policy [233.75KB] for details about:

  • who we contact about your application
  • what happens to it if there is an objection
  • what we take into account when deciding whether to accept it.

How long will my application take?

We will make a decision within 7 days of when the consultation ends.

We may:

  • grant the application in full
  • grant the application in part
  • refuse the application.

The application will be automatically granted if we fail to make a decision. The licence in this case will then last for a year.

You cannot appeal against the refusal of a pavement licence.

We will not refund the fee if we refuse your application.

View online the pavement licence applications recently received.

How long will the licence last?

We usually grant a licence until 30 September 2021. The shortest licence is 3 months.

Any licence granted will need to meet the national and local conditions (see the policy link).