Apply for a street trading licence
Street trading locations
Trading in Guildford town centre
Guildford town centre is a main regional shopping destination. If we allow large numbers of street traders, it may take business away from town centre shops.
Trading in a lay-by
If you trade from a lay-by it must:
- be wide enough to allow vehicles to park and pass
- be long enough to allow large vehicles to park easily
- have a verge (at least 1m wide) separating it from the road.
Mobile street trading
If you want to apply for many locations in the borough, you must list them in your application. This could be if you own an ice cream van and want to drive around.
Consent is not normally given for trading in the following town centre areas:
- Alexandra Terrace
- Bedford Road (between Onslow Street and Laundry Road)
- Bridge Street
- Castle Street
- Chertsey Street
- Commercial Road
- Guildford Railway Station
- High Street
- Leapale Road
- Market Street
- North Street
- Onslow Street
- Quarry Street (between High Street and Castle Hill)
- Swan Lane
- Upper High Street
- Ward Street
- Woodbridge Road (between North Street and Leapale Road)
If you want to trade from car parks, parks, or open spaces, we need written permission from the landowner. This must be done at least 10 working days before you start trading from the location.
You must still follow any road traffic restrictions, local regulations, and byelaws.