Find out about building your own home
Can I join?
You need to prove you are eligible to join either part 1 or 2 of the self-build and custom housebuilding register.
You must be aged 18 or older and either a:
- British citizen
- national of a state in the European Economic Area
- national of Switzerland
Provide one of the following to prove your address and nationality:
- UK driving licence
- UK, EEA state or Swiss birth certificate
- identity card
You need to give evidence we agree proves can afford to buy land to build your home on. This could include:
- details of savings or equity you could use to buy land at a realistic or average value
- an in-principle bank loan agreement or offer of a self-build mortgage from a recognised and verifiable lender
- written confirmation and evidence from a qualified financial advisor who's an active member of a relevant professional body
You do not need to give financial evidence when you apply. We can request it later to verify your claim. If you cannot provide the information within 21 days of our request, we may remove you from the register.
If you're applying as an association, each member must give evidence.
I want to join part 1 of the register, what extra information do I need to provide?
To join part 1 of the register, you or your partner must have links to the local area. You must prove that either:
- you/they have lived in the borough for at least five years
- you/they have had a permanent, full-time job (16 or more hours per week) in the borough for at least three years
- you/they have been in the armed forces at some point in the last five years
There are three ways to prove this:
Provide any combination of documents from the following list (one current and one that's five years old):
- utility bill
- council tax bill
- mortgage statement from either:
- a recognised lender
- a council
- a housing association rent card
- a tenancy agreement
- electoral register entry
Both documents need to include your name and address.
Provide any combination of documents from the following list (one current and one that's three years old):
- P45 showing the address of your employment
Provide proof you were employed in the armed forces in the last five years.
If you don't have a connection to the local area, you can join Part 2 of the register.