Toggle menu

Slyfield community recycling centre closure

The Slyfield community recycling centre will be closed from 15 June to 30 June 2024 for essential maintenance. Find out more about alternative community recycling centres. (opens new window)

Submit a building control application

Before you apply

Our building control team make sure buildings in Guildford meet building regulations standards (opens new window). They help check the design and construction of your project.

We have a qualified and experienced team. To apply for our reliable, proactive and high quality service, you need to complete both:

  • an application form
  • a payment form

Before starting your application, make sure you've answered the following questions:

Information for builders

The Health and Safety Executive has published guidance for builders (opens new window) on their website.

What to submit

You need to include the following information in your application:

  • your name and contact details
  • your agent's name and contact details (if you have one)
  • the address of the property you want to work on
  • principle (or sole) contractor details
  • principle (or sole) designer details
  • a description of the work you want to do
  • a description of how the property is currently used, and how it will be used when the work is finished
  • information about planning permission (if it's been granted)

You also need to submit the following plans:

  • the site plan at a scale of 1:1250 or 1:2500 with the site outlined in red
  • building drawings (elevations) at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100
  • floor plans at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100
  • section plans at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100

All plans need to be in one of the following file formats:

  • Adobe PDF
  • AutoCad DWG and DWF formats
  • Microsoft Word or Excel
  • JPEG and JPG images
  • TIF and TIFF images


If you make a building control application, the following fees apply to full plans applications:

  • plan charge - you need to pay this when you make your application
  • inspection charge - you can pay this at any time before the inspection

You only need to pay one fee for building notices and regularisation applications.

How to calculate fees for your project

If your building work does not fall within tables A to E (listed in our Guidance notes for Building Control charges (PDF) [425KB] ), we'll calculate the charge on an individual basis.


Our Building Control submissions portal is currently unavailable. To apply for building control use the Planning Portal service.

Apply online

The easiest way to apply is our building control submissions portal. Once you've applied, you also need to pay separately.

You can apply on the Planning Portal (opens new window)

Apply by email or post

To apply complete an application and charges form and email to or send both to our Millmead office.

Apply by phone

We can apply on your behalf if you call us. Contact 01483 444000 during office hours.

Pay for your application

You need to pay within 24 hours of submitting a building control application form. Our online payment forms include a fee calculator. Find out more about our  building control charges. (PDF) [454KB]

You can pay for your building control application online.

Pay for new build housing and flats

Pay for domestic extensions and alterations

Pay for non domestic extension and new builds

Pay for all other non domestic work

What happens next?

Site inspections

Once you've applied and paid, you can start work. Our surveyors inspect the work during construction to make sure it meets building regulations.

Our inspections do not replace either:

  • full supervision
  • workmanship/quality checks

You'll need to arrange these yourself.

Arranging inspections

You, your agent or your builder need to notify us at certain points so we can arrange inspections.

Find out when you must book an inspection

You only have to apply for inspections at the statutory stages which affect your project.

Completion certificates

We'll issue a completion certificate after a satisfactory final inspection. You'll need the certificate if you sell the property. Your solicitor, bank or building society may need it too.

We can give you the details of old completion certificates issued for properties you own. If the work finished before 1991, we'll give you the completion letter. You'll need the following information:

  • building control application number
  • full address of the site location
  • description of the works

Either send this to or call 01483 444000. We'll respond to your request within 10 working days.

Use our online search if you need to find any of the information you need.

Search for a building control application

If we find the work you're searching for did not have a final inspection, we can arrange a date for one.