Toggle menu

Water supply issues in the GU1, GU2, GU4 and GU5 areas

Thames Water has reported residents in postcode areas GU1, GU2, GU4 and GU5 could be experiencing water supply issues. This is due to a power outage across the area. All sites are now back online but customers may still temporarily experience no water or low pressure. 

Keep up to date with live information (opens new window)

Report a bonfire

 report icon

What you need to know

A bonfire can be a handy way to get rid of garden waste but they can have an impact on your neighbours and the environment.

There is no law against having a bonfire. It is an offence for the smoke, smell and ash to cause a nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. (opens new window)

If you must have a bonfire, we recommend you:

  • have your bonfire as far away from buildings as possible
  • do not light a fire if the wind will carry the smoke over roads or into your neighbours' gardens or property
  • burn only dry wood and plant waste. Do not burn material that will create toxic fumes, for example, plastic, rubber or aerosols
  • put the bonfire out with water
  • remember that smoke hangs in the air on damp, windless days and in the evening

Getting rid of your waste

We recommend that household waste is not burnt on a bonfire. Instead recycle it through one of our collection schemes.

Waste collection schemes

Report a bonfire

If you are being disturbed by bonfire smoke and ash, try politely discussing the issue with your neighbour. They may not realise it's causing a problem.

If the situation does not improve, you can report a bonfire to us. For us to take action, the bonfire must be classed as a statutory nuisance. This means the bonfire you wish to report must be more than an annoyance and affecting you in an unreasonable way.

  • you will need to keep a record of dates, times and how the bonfire is affecting you
  • an officer may arrange to visit to witness the bonfire disturbance
  • if the bonfire is a statutory nuisance, the officer will issue an abatement notice. This does not put a stop to the bonfires but may help reduce the numbers
  • if the bonfire nuisance continues and evidence is enough, we may take the offender to court for not complying with the abatement notice
  • you may also be able to take your own private legal action
  • if you have reported the bonfires and are concerned that not enough is being done, you can then raise a community trigger.

To report a bonfire you will need to make an account and log in.

Report a commercial bonfire (opens new window)

Report a domestic bonfire (opens new window)