We use Cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. View our cookie policy

Dog Warden

The Dog Warden deals with noisy dogs, stray dogs, dog fouling problems, licensed or unlicensed animal establishments and advice on responsible dog ownership.

Dog warden Compulsory dog microchipping

From 6 April 2016, it is a legal requirement that all dog keepers have their dogs microchipped and registered on one of the authorised databases. For more information please see our page on dog microchipping.

Dog fouling

Under the Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996, in most areas of Guildford Borough dog walkers have to clean up immediately after their dog has fouled. We patrol areas that have been reported as fouled and will look into signage, bins, clearance and, as appropriate, highlight fouling using a chalk-based red spray paint.

If you want to report someone who does not clean up after their dog, or to let us know about an area that is fouled, you can report dog fouling with our online form. All details are confidential.

People caught failing to clean up will be given a £50 fixed penalty notice. If this is not paid within 14 days, or if the same person is caught in the future, the council will prosecute. Dog fouling is a criminal offence and carries a fine of up to £1000.

Noisy dogs

The Dog Warden can offer advice about noisy dogs, whether you own one or live near to one. For further advice visit the Government's dog webpage.

If you are being regularly disturbed by a noisy dog, you can report it using our dog issue online form.

Antisocial dogs

The Council now have powers to deal with dog owners under the Antisocial Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014.

Antisocial dog behaviour can include:

  • Dogs straying or roaming from a property

  • Dog fouling

  • Dog noise

  • Dogs not kept under proper control

  • Dogs causing annoyance

  • Dogs attacking other dogs / pets / animals

If you are being bothered by any of the above, you can report an antisocial dog using our dog issue online form.

The initial step we take is to send a letter to the owner. If the behaviour continues we may then issue a notice, which if breached could result in the owner being taken to court.

Stray dogs

A stray dog is one that is in a public place or on land that it has no business being on, with no owner present to control it.

The Council is required to deal with dogs that are roaming within its area. If you find a stray dog, you must call the Dog Warden (01483 505050) or take the dog directly to  Treetops Kennels in Guildford who will accept dogs 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The Council looks after stray dogs for seven days, after which unclaimed dogs are found new homes.

If you wish to complain about a neighbour who regularly allows their dog to stray, you can report an antisocial dog using our  dog issue online form. We can investigate the complaint using antisocial behaviour legislation.

Lost and found dogs

If you have lost a dog you should contact Treetops Kennels. If a dog is impounded, owners will be charged a fee when collecting it. This is currently £64 for the first day or part day and increases daily. This includes a Government prescribed fee.

If you have found a dog then by law you must hand the dog in to the Council responsible for the area where the dog was found. Failing to hand in a stray dog may leave you open to allegations of theft.

The Council receives daily reports of lost dogs and reunites dogs and owners wherever possible.

The dog you have found may have a microchip or a tattoo. The Dog Warden can check for these so that owners may be contacted as soon as possible.

If you wish to keep the dog, you can only do so once the Dog Warden has been contacted, visited your property, met the dog and checked all lost dog reports. The Dog Warden will issue a legal notice stating that you can then look after the dog unless a person proving to be the original owner comes forward.