Toggle menu


Get the latest government advice about coronavirus. Advice for local residents and business can be found on our coronavirus information page.

Hire of public parks and open spaces

book/dates icon

Guildford has more than 50 parks, which can be hired as venues for commercial or community events, including music concerts, fun fairs, fetes, sponsored walks, or regular school PE and other sporting activities. We also welcome fitness sessions, filming and balloon launches. 

Here's a flavour of what Guildford's parks and open spaces can offer:

Hiring Guildford Parks

How to hire a park for a public event

1. Complete the application form from the list below:

Icon for word Outdoor event application form [253KB]

Icon for word Fitness Sessions and School PE/Sport Activities application form [206KB]

Icon for word Filming application form [210KB]

Icon for word Outdoor Theatre application form [250KB]


2. Read the terms and conditions

Please read our Icon for pdf terms and conditions. [144.2KB] Sign the form and return it to us.

3. Event acknowledgement

Once we have received your event application, we will:

  • Check it for date availability, event suitability and licence requirements.
  • Write to you and acknowledge your application and confirm Icon for pdf fees and charges. [45.12KB]
  • Let you know about any additional requirements and what you should do before we can confirm your event.

4. Event confirmation

By at least four weeks before your event you will need to complete and send:

When we have received all the necessary documents, we will write to you and confirm that your event can go ahead.

We will also invoice you for the hire of the park. Events will not be able to go ahead without a written event confirmation from us.


If you are interested in filming or carrying out a photo shoot on a park or in an open space, you will need to complete a Icon for word Filming application form. [210KB]

There is a minimum £50 filming charge. The charge may be more depending upon the event details.

Fitness sessions and regular school PE/sport activities

Fitness sessions and regular school PE/sport activities take place in many of our parks and open spaces.

To get permission to run regular classes and fitness sessions, please complete a Icon for word Fitness sessions and School PE/sport activities application form. [206KB]

Balloon launches

Shalford Park is the only site suitable for balloon launches. Fees and charges are based on a maximum of 25 launches per year.

To get permission to launch balloons, please complete a

Apply to launch a balloon in Shalford Park

Outdoor theatre and bandstand concerts

Guildford Castle Grounds and Bandstand have a full concert diary during the summer months. This includes concerts and outdoor theatre performances. 


Some events require a licence. There are several types of licence:

  • Premises Licence
  • Temporary Event Notice
  • Alcohol Licence

For more information, please contact Licensing Services on 01483 444371 or


All events will require Public Liability Insurance (for more information, see our Icon for pdf Guide to Organising an Outdoor Event). [643.26KB]

Fees and charges

A scale of Icon for pdf fees and charges [67.08KB] is set yearly. The fees are dependent on the type of event, the numbers of people attending and the duration of the event.

A reinstatement bond may also be payable. Full payment of the fee and the reinstatement bond must be made at least four weeks before the event.

Risk assessment

All events will require a site specific Icon for word risk assessment. [111KB]

More information

For more advice on organising a safe and successful event, please see our Icon for pdf Guide to Organising an Outdoor Event [643.26KB] or visit the Health and Safety Executive website.