We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We also set analytics cookies to help us improve it, this information is collected in a way that does not allow us to identify anyone. Find out more about our cookies and how to block them. Find out more about Cookies

Shalford Common Consultation

We are consulting on the management of Shalford Common. The consultation will cover how it will be protected and necessary improvements. The consultation will run until 31 October 2020.

We are aiming to draw up an action plan setting out measures to address:

We own the freehold of Shalford Common ("the Common"). It's common land. The statutory regulation of common land is set out in the Commons Act 2006.

The Common has had increasing problems with unauthorised access and parking for many years. We get regular complaints about parked cars on the Common. This includes parking on access tracks, which is in breach of commons legislation.

Have your say

Please complete our survey.

All responses are anonymous. We're working with an independent agency, SMSR, who will process your replies on our behalf.

We'll consider your feedback and use it to help inform decisions on the future use of the Common. We're considering options for seven priority areas around Shalford Common (go to the consultation to see maps of the areas).

We'd like your opinion on the best way to manage access and parking in each area.

Should a preferred option need third party consents to be put in place, we'll use this consultation as a pre-consultation. It will support applications for consents for Common Land and Bylaws from DEFRA.

Common Land consent and introduction of new bylaws will need statutory consultations. Bylaws are rules made by a local authority or corporation that regulate themselves. The icon proposed bylaws [55.5KB]  would replace the existing bylaws. They would cover:

  • Shalford Common
  • Peasmarsh Common
  • Tilthams Corner
  • Trunley Heath
  • part of Gosden Common

If proposals include the removal of land from the registered Common, we will propose registering a new area of land as Common Land. You can see this as area on the map in the survey. This would involve clearing this area of land for public access.