We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We also set analytics cookies to help us improve it, this information is collected in a way that does not allow us to identify anyone. Find out more about our cookies and how to block them. Find out more about Cookies

Adapted housing

What are adaptations?

Adaptations are changes to your home to help overcome practical problems when age or disability limits your daily activities. Small pieces of equipment can also be provided, including raised toilet seats, shower seats and rails.

How we can help

We can provide simple adaptations and equipment to help you move around your home more easily. Where adaptations are more complex, alternative accommodation could offer a better solution. Incentives are offered to tenants who move to a smaller property which may need little or no adaptation.

Who can apply?

Anyone with a medical condition or physical disability that limits their daily activities can apply.

You can apply for yourself or on behalf of someone in your household.

Minor adaptations

If the adaptation you need is minor and does not need to be assessed by an occupational therapist, the work will be carried out within 28 days.

This type of work includes:

  • Lever taps

  • Stair or banister rails

  • Socket raisers

  • Window winders

  • Re-hanging doors to give better access

  • Grab rails

  • Outside rails

  • Door entry

  • Fitting key safes

  • Fitting security lights

  • Steps.

Major adaptations

These are adaptations to your home that involve building work.

If you need major adaptations or larger pieces of equipment, an occupational therapist will assess you at home. This is to see if your home can be adapted to meet your needs, or to assess if it would be more suitable to find you somewhere else to live.

An occupational therapist will need to assess you for the following adaptations:

  • Stairlifts

  • Through floor lifts

  • Bath lifts

  • Over bath showers

  • Level access showers

  • Door widening

  • Wheelchair accessible kitchens

  • Hard standings

  • Ramps and steps

  • Extensions.

The occupational therapist will assess which adaptations or equipment you need, recommend the adaptations we should carry out and how urgently they are needed. Please note we have a limited budget for adaptations and equipment and may not be able to carry out all the recommendations.

What happens when the work is completed?

Once the work is finished we will send you a customer satisfaction questionnaire. This will only take a few minutes of your time to fill in.

Your feedback is very important to us and your comments help us to continually improve the service we provide for you.

Are there any adaptations we can't carry out?

There are some adaptations which we are not able to carry out. These include:

  • Building a mobility scooter store

  • Showers in sheltered accommodation schemes (where communal facilities are suitable)

  • Adaptations for friends or visitors.

We may say no to requests for adaptations if:

  • there is a more suitable property available that could be adapted

  • there is a property available which is already suitable for your needs

  • you have applied to buy your home under the right-to-buy scheme.

Will having the adaptation mean rent/service charges in a Council property increase?

We will only put up your rent if we have made your home bigger or increased the number of rooms. In some cases an adaptation could even result in lower council tax.

Service standards

We aim to have your home assessed by an occupational therapist within four weeks of your enquiry. Please note, there may be unavoidable delays from time to time.

Once a recommendation has been received by an occupational therapist we aim to have the works completed in six to eight weeks. This could be much longer for major adaptations.

Appeals and complaints

We will respond to any appeals or complaints about adaptations in line with our complaints policy and procedure.

How do I apply?

For any further advice, please contact the Private Sector Services team. We will contact an occupational therapist or bathing advisor if required. They will assess what needs to be done to your home.