Mayor, Deputy Mayor - selection, roles, responsibilities
In the same way, the Council also elects a Member of the Council to be the Deputy Mayor for the forthcoming year.
The Mayor, and in his or her absence the Deputy Mayor, has the following roles or functions:
- to uphold and promote the purposes of the Council's constitution and to interpret the constitution where necessary
- to preside over meetings of the Council so that its business can be carried out efficiently and with regard to the rights of councillors and the interests of the community,
- to ensure that the Council meeting is a forum for the debate of matters of concern to the local community and the place at which Members who are not on the Executive or do not hold committee chairmanships are able to hold the Executive and committee chairmen to account,
- to promote public involvement in the Council's activities,
- to attend such civic and ceremonial functions as the Council and he or she determines appropriate.