Flood emergencies - latest information
The following are a few tips and hints from the Environment Agency:
- Keep a list of useful numbers to hand, the emergency services, your insurance company and Floodline 0345 988 1188.
- Have a few sandbags or floorboards prepared to block doorways and air bricks. If your house is at serious risk of flooding there are a number of sites where you can collect sandbags from. If you are unable to collect the sandbags yourself or are notifying us that there are no sandbags left at a particular location please call 01483 455091.
- Make up a Flood Kit, including a torch, blankets, waterproof clothing, wellingtons, a portable radio, first aid kit, rubber gloves and key personal documents. Keep it upstairs, if possible.
- Talk about possible flooding with your family or those you live with. Consider writing a Flood Plan, and store these notes with your Flood Kit.
- Make sure you know where to turn off your gas and electricity.
- What about your pets? Where will you move them to if a flood is on the way?
- Think about your car. Where could you move it to in the event of a flood warning?
- Get into the habit of storing valuable or sentimental personal belongings upstairs or in a high place downstairs.
- Think about medication. In the event of a flood, you will still need to take it.