Flood risk assessment
Flood risk assessments might be required if your project will take place in Flood Zone 1, 2 or 3 (including Zone 3b). Check our Strategic Flood Risk Assessment maps to find out if this is the case.
If your project takes place in Zone 1, a flood risk assessment is required if either:
- the area has critical drainage problems
- the area is affected by surface water flooding
- the project site will be more than 1 hectare
- the project will introduce new uses to the land which are more vulnerable to flooding than the old uses
All project in Zones 2 or 3 (including Zone 3b) require a flood risk assessment.
Read more information in:
- our Local Plan: Strategy and Sites 2019 (Policy P4)
- the National Planning Policy Framework 2019 (paras 155 - 165)
- the National Planning Policy Guidance for Flood Risk and Coastal Change (ID.7 paras 001 - 008)
Visit the Government's page for flood risk assessment standing advice.