Apply for a private hire operator licence
You need a private hire operator's licence for any pre-booked work such as airport transfers, hen or stag nights or similar work.
If your vehicle can carry up to eight passengers, you need a private operator's licence. Anything above eight seats requires the licence to be obtained from Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
Please read ourbefore starting your application.
We offer pre-application advice on this licence.
Before you apply
To apply for a private hire operator's licence, you must be able to show:
- you must also be a 'fit and proper person' - which means your background and character will be checked. We may carry out an enhanced criminal records check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
- you have Planning and building control or a certificate of lawful use for your operating base
- if your operating base is open to the public you must have public liability insurance for the premises
- the name of your business does not include the word 'taxis' or 'cabs'
Private Hire Operator's Licence (new/renew) - £970.97
Apply for a licence
To apply for a private hire operator's licence, follow these steps:
- complete the
- the correct fee payable by credit or debit card
- provide photo I.D for each applicant. We will only accept a passport or DVLA driver's licence
- provide a basic DBS check certificate issued within the last three months for each applicant
- provide a list of vehicles and drivers that you will be operating
- proof of right to live and work in the UK for each person named on the application