Apply for or renew a private hire vehicle licence
What you need to know
- private hire vehicles may only be booked in advance
- they are identified by signs on the side of the vehicle, giving details of their licence number, and a red licence plate on the rear
- vehicles must not be the same colour as a Hackney Carriage, or have a roof sign
- fares should be agreed at the time of booking
- a taximeter may be used
- CCTV in licensed vehicles (from April 2023)
- emissions standards for licensed vehicles
- a suitability test for vehicle proprietors
- a transparent policy on executive hires
Licences for PHVs will only be granted to vehicles that meet the requirements. Please read ourbefore starting your application.
Once the vehicle is licensed as a private hire vehicle, it may only be driven by a driver holding either a private hire drivers licence or a dual Hackney Carriage/private hire driver's licence issued by the council, even when the vehicle is off duty.
The vehicle must also maintain its appearance as a private hire vehicle, including displaying any signage and plate.
We offer pre-application advice on this licence.
|Private Hire Vehicles|
Fee for 2020/21
Private Hire Vehicle (new/renew)
Private Hire Vehicle Change
Private Hire temporary vehicle (3 months)
Replacement Vehicle Licence Plates
Private Hire Vehicle signs (pair)