Pay your council tax
Pay your council tax by direct debit
Direct debit is the easiest way to pay. It's simple, safe and you only need to give us your details once. It is also backed by the direct debit guarantee. We will ask for payment from your bank on the second day of the month. If this falls on a weekend or public holiday it will be the next working day
Set up a direct debit and pay your council tax with a MyGuildford account
If you don't have an account, registration is quick and easy. A MyGuildford account will allow you to:
- set up a Direct Debit and change payment method or bank details
- log in at a time that suits you to pay your council tax - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- view account balances, see what you've paid and when
- sign up for e-billing and receive email alerts when your bill is available online
- request a copy of your bill
- upload documents
Register or sign into your MyGuildford account
Once you have a MyGuildford account, there are additional steps to link your online Council tax account.
You can set up a direct debit online if you have a MyGuildford account.
To link your council tax to your MyGuildford account, you will need the following information:
- your council tax reference number - found on your latest bill
- your name exactly as it appears on your council tax bill
- your postcode
- if you have applied for Local Council Tax Support or have been named on a council tax support application, you will also need to provide your national insurance number. This provides an additional level of security
Watch our video on how to link council tax to your MyGuildford account.
Changing your payment method
Once your account is linked, you can go into the account summary screen. You will see 'quick links' on the right-hand side. You should select the 'change my method of payment method' link on the right-hand side of the page.
You will also need the following information to set up your direct debit:
- the name and address of your bank or building society
- your sort code and account number for your bank account. You need a reference number for some building society accounts
Once your application is complete, we will contact you if we need further information.
We aim to make the change to your account within 10 working days and issue your new bill. We will send your new bill in the post.