Small business rate relief
How do we work out small business rate relief?
You might be entitled to small business rate relief for your property. This will reduce your business rates bill.
The small business rate multiplier is used to work out all bills for properties with rateable value of:
- less than £18,000 (1 April 2012 to 31 March 2017)
- less than £51,000 (1 April 2017 onwards)
To qualify for small business rate relief:
- the property must be occupied
- the property cannot receive another mandatory relief. (For instance as a charity, Community Amateur Sports Club or rural rate relief)
An extra discount is available where the rateable value is less than £15,001 (£12,000 before 1 April 2017).
If you have more than one property, you will still get rate relief on your main property for 12 months.
You can still get small business rate relief on your main property after this if both the following conditions apply:
- none of your other properties have a rateable value above £2,899
- the total rateable value of all properties is less than £20,000