Business rates is the term commonly used for non-domestic rates which are charged on most non-domestic premises, including most commercial properties such as shops, offices, pubs, warehouses and factories.
This may include properties not occupied by businesses, or rooms set aside for business within an otherwise domestic dwelling. Business rates are set nationally and collected locally.
Find out how to manage your accounts electronically.
How to Pay
- Pay online
- Payment is collected on the second of the month.
- Call 03300 889 584 and pay by debit/credit card via our automated telephone payment system. (An additional fee is charged for all credit card payments.)
- Standing Order/BACs transfer. Or pay at the bank.
The Council's bank is HSBC. The sort code is 40-22-26 and the bank account number 21850652. You must quote your 10 digit business rate account number to ensure payment goes directly to your account. Payment due 2nd of the month.
- Send a cheque payable to Guildford Borough Council (writing your reference number on the back) to Guildford Borough Council, PO Box 4878, Worthing, BN11 9UU. Please note we are phasing out payment by cheque and would encourage you to consider an alternative payment method as soon as possible.
How your bill is calculated
The formula for calculating your bill is set by central government. Your premises will be given a rateable value by the Valuation Office Agency which we use to calculate how much you should pay. We work out the bill by multiplying the rateable value of the property by a figure set annually by central government (known as a multiplier). Where Transitional Phasing applies we then apply this.
There are two multipliers for 2017/18:
- The standard non-domestic rating multiplier which is 47.9p in the pound.
- The small business non-domestic rating multiplier which is 46.6p in the pound.
There are two multipliers for 2016/17:
- The standard non-domestic rating multiplier which is 49.7p in the pound.
- The small business non-domestic rating multiplier which is 48.4p in the pound.
All non-domestic properties have been revalued from 1 April 2017 based on rental values at the 1st of April 2015. More information on revaluation 2017 can be found at the Valuation Office Agency.
You can write to us at Guildford Borough Council, Business Rates Department, Millmead House, Millmead, Guildford GU2 4BB or email. However we can often take information about changes over the telephone 03300 123 0081.
If you are acting on behalf of someone else, then you will need to provide documentation that shows that they have authorised you to do so.
Please see our page Altering the business rates information we hold for more information.
Spring Budget 2017
On 8 March 2017 the Chancellor of the Exchequer announced a number of measures to help businesses:
- support for small businesses losing Small Business Rate Relief to limit increases in their bills to the greater of £600 or the real terms transitional relief cap for small businesses each year
- providing English local authorities with funding to support £300 million of discretionary relief, to allow them to provide support to individual hard cases in their local area
- a £1,000 business rate discount for public houses with a rateable value of up to £100,000, subject to state aid limits for businesses with multiple properties, for one year from 1 April 2017.
We are currently working to develop these schemes and to formally adopt them. Further updates on the current situation can be found on our Spring Budget 2017 update page. Please note that Rate Demand Notices remain payable as issued, and ratepayer's should not withhold payment in anticipation of any reduction.
Information supplied with your demand notice
Information relating to the gross expenditure of the local authority can be viewed on the Council tax financial information page.
A hard copy of either document is available on request by writing in or calling 0330 123 0081.