We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We also set analytics cookies to help us improve it, this information is collected in a way that does not allow us to identify anyone. Find out more about our cookies and how to block them. Find out more about Cookies

Adapt your home to work for you

Find out how you can get help adapting your home to make it easier to live independently.

Adaptations to your home can help you manage everyday tasks and stay independent.

See below for a list of some of the minor and major adaptations we can carry out.

Getting help

Contact our Occupational Therapist (OT) for an assessment of your needs.

Please fill out the icon OT referral form [24.98KB] and email it to: customerservices@guildford.gov.uk.

Our OT will usually be able to visit within 6 to 8 weeks.

What happens next?

The OT will visit you to:

  • talk to you about your situation
  • look at activities you are struggling with
  • look at ways of making things easier and safer for you.

The OT will write a list of recommendations, which will be sent to the Adaptations team, who will then arrange the works.

faq icon 24331 Minor adaptations

These are small changes made to your home and usually cost than less than £1,000. Read more >

faq icon 24332 Major adaptations

These are significant changes to your home and are more expensive. They can also be disruptive/invasive/involve some upheaval. Read more >

faq icon 24333 Get advice on making home adaptations

If you choose to make the changes to your home yourself, our Care and Repair Team can help you. Read more >

faq icon 24352 Get help if you have care needs

You can contact Surrey County Council Social Care Team if you have care needs for yourself or a member of your family. Read more >

faq icon 24353 Applying for a home improvement grant

You may be able to get a grant to make essential repairs and improvements to your home. Find out if you can apply and how to do this. Read more >