Knowledge test guidance
Before being licensed as either a hackney carriage or private hire driver, you will have to pass the relevant Knowledge test.
Book a test
- To book a test contact customer services on 01483 505050. You will need a credit or debit card to pay for the test. See the licence fee pages for the cost.
- Tests are online so you must have a valid email address. This must be your own email address.
- This must be the same email address you will use when submitting your application.
- Tests take place at 11 am on the second Thursday of every month.
- You must book and pay by the Friday before the test date.
- Bookings made after this time will be for the following month's test.
Taking the test
- We will send a link for the test to the email address given at the time of booking. We will send the link after bookings for the test have closed. If you have not received the link by midday on the day before the test, check your spam or junk folders first. Then contact customer services
- The link will only work at 11am on the day of the test. If you start late or have connection problems, we will not give you any extra time.
- You get your result at the end of the test.
- Tests consist of multiple-choice questions.
- You have 30 minutes to take the test.
- The pass mark is 70%
If you need to cancel
- If you cannot attend the test, contact customer services on 01483 505050 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you cancel after bookings have closed, we will not refund your test fee.
Preparing for the test
We recommend practising for the test. We do not limit the number of times you can take the test, but you will have to pay the full fee for each test.
What you need to know
The hackney carriage driver's test and the private hire vehicle driver's test both cover these topics:
- Carriage of disabled persons
- Highway Code
- The law, byelaws and licence conditions. See our Information for current licence holders. Please note, only hackney applicants need to know the Town and Police Clauses Act 1847 and Hackney Carriage Byelaws. All applicants need to know the private hire conditions and legislation. and our page on
- Basic maths
- Writing receipts. Receipts should have the date, amount, journey details, driver number and vehicle plate number.
- Knowledge of Guildford Borough area, not just Guildford itself. Check you know what area the Borough covers.
We do not supply a list of questions for you to learn off by heart. Each test is randomly generated from a bank of questions.
Useful links for test
Please see the links section on this page for websites that may be helpful when you're practising for the Knowledge test. They may not cover all the topics you'll be tested on.
- The test has a small number of location questions on the same topics as covered by the hackney carriage driver's test listed below.
- The test covers locations and routes in addition to the topics listed above. Locations cover:
- places of worship
- conference centres
- hotels, bed and breakfasts, and guest houses
- places of interest
- pubs, clubs and licensed premises
- railway stations
- restaurants, cafes and takeaway premises
- doctors' surgeries and health centres
- golf clubs
- For route questions, you will have to select the shortest route of the options given to you.