Toggle menu

We are experiencing some issues with our phone lines

We are working to fix the issue as soon as possible. We apologise for the inconvenience.

The quickest and easiest way to access our services is by registering for an account at MyGuildford or visiting our self service pages. You can report an issue, make requests and track progress, pay your bills and apply for key services at any time.

Get the latest government advice about coronavirus. Advice for local residents and business can be found on our coronavirus information page.

Council tax exemptions for students

Full-time students do not pay council tax. If you live in a hall of residence, you won't get a council tax bill. If you live off campus, you need to register for council tax. You need to prove you are a student so you don't get billed.

Students living off campus

You need to register for council tax to claim exemption if you live off campus. If you don't have a council tax bill, then you are not registered.

To register email with:

  • your name
  • the names of the other occupiers
  • term-time address
  • date your tenancy started and when you moved in
  • where you are studying

University of Surrey students

Are you a University of Surrey student and live in the following postcode areas?

GU1, GU2, GU3, GU4, GU5, GU7, GU8, GU12, GU16, GU10, GU23, GU24, KT23, KT24

If so, we can confirm your student status with the university and process your exemption. We can only get this information from the university if you ticked the opt-in box when you registered at university self-service online. If you did not opt in, then it is quick to change by logging back in and ticking the box. If we cannot confirm your student status, you must pay the full council tax charge. 

Students studying elsewhere

Get a council tax student certificate from your college or university. Scan it and email it to Or post to Guildford Borough Council, Millmead House, Millmead, Guildford, GU2 4BB. Remember to include your term-time address.

Next steps

  • once you have registered and proved you are a student, you will be sent confirmation of this
  • if you live in a house occupied only by students, you will be sent a bill with your name on it. It will confirm you are exempt from council tax
  • if you share with a non-student, they must pay council tax

I've been sent a council tax bill, what should I do?

We can only exempt you for the official dates as advised by your college or university. Your exemption ends when you stop attending lectures. It does not continue until you graduate. To avoid any unnecessary charges, tell us as soon as you move out by calling 01483 505050.