Toggle menu

Access our services using MyGuildford

Due to high levels of service requests and applications, our phone lines are much busier than usual. The quickest and easiest way to access our services is by registering for an account at MyGuildford or visiting our self service pages. You can report an issue, make requests and track progress, pay your bills and apply for key services at any time.

Get the latest government advice about coronavirus. Advice for local residents and business can be found on our coronavirus information page.

I've received a council tax summons

What happens if a summons is issued?

You will be sent a summons if you have not paid the amount due on the reminder letter or final notice letter sent to you.

No further action is taken if the total amount shown on the summons is paid in full before the hearing date. This includes the £80.50 costs. 

If you do not pay the full amount before the court hearing date, we will ask the court to grant a liability order to recover the debt. This will add further costs of £20 to your council tax account. You do not need to attend court.

At court the magistrates can only consider if the bill and reminder have been issued correctly and if the amount remains unpaid. They cannot say if you are the correct liable person, if the amount billed is wrong. They cannot consider payment by instalments.

If you think your bill is wrong, you must contact the council immediately. There is a separate appeals process for this matter.

If you are unable to pay in full, contact us immediately. We may be able to agree payment by instalments.

What happens if a liability order is issued?

If you do not pay or contact us, the magistrates will issue a liability order which allows the council to make:

  • attachment of earnings. We will contact your employer to take money direct from your wages
  • deductions from benefits. We will take the money directly from your benefits

We can send the debt to an enforcement agent to collect the money. Enforcement agents were previously known as bailiffs. 

Do not ignore a summons. If you cannot pay, call 0330 1230081 or email