Reductions for diplomats or visiting armed forces
Exemptions for diplomats or visiting armed forces
Adults and their non-British spouses living in your household are not counted for council tax if they are a member of an international governmental organisation.
If we do not count this person for council tax and there are less than two adults in the property that are counted for council tax, you may get a discount.
You need to have a MyGuildford account to apply for this discount online. If you do not have a MyGuildford account you can set one up.
If you have not yet registered to access your council tax account online, there are more steps. You can then link your online council tax account to your MyGuildford.
To complete this step you will need the following information:
- your council tax reference number - found on your latest bill
- your name exactly as it appears on your council tax bill
- your property postcode
- if you have applied for Local Council Tax Support or have been named on a council tax support application, you will also need to provide your national insurance number. This provides an additional level of security
Once you have linked your council tax account, you can go into the 'account summary' screen. You will see a list of 'quick links' on the right-hand side. You need to select the 'apply for or cancel a disregard' link.
You need to supply the following information:
- the date the person(s) moved into the property
- the name(s) of the person(s) who have moved into the property
- a letter from their embassy to confirm that they are covered by diplomatic privilege and immunity. You will need to upload this.