We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We also set analytics cookies to help us improve it, this information is collected in a way that does not allow us to identify anyone. Find out more about our cookies and how to block them. Find out more about Cookies

FAQs - Bins and recycling

faq icon 21945 Clinical or medical waste

We can collect clinical waste from your home for free. Read more >

faq icon 16750 What can go into my green wheeled bin (or sacks) for recycling?

Glass bottles and jars, cans and tins, plastic bottles, yoghurt pots, food trays, ice cream tubs, margarine tubs and carrier bags. Tetrapak food and drink cartons. Paper and card. Plastic and metal caps and tops. Read more >

faq icon 16751 I have too much recycling for my bin, what should I do?

Large boxes can be flattened and left next to your bin for collection. Any other recycling can be contained in a cardboard box or carrier bag and left next to your bin for collection. If you often have too much recycling you can request a second recycling bin. Please email the Customer Services Centre at customerservices@guildford.gov.uk or call them on 01483 505050.

faq icon 16752 Where should I put my bins and caddies for collection?

You must place wheeled bins and sacks at the edge of the property nearest the public highway that the collection vehicle uses, or any other reasonable point which shall be determined by the Council as the collection point, to allow safe and efficient collections.

faq icon 16753 Should I put my silver caddy out for collection?

No, only the green food waste container should be put out for collection, the silver caddy is for use within your home.

faq icon 16754 What can I use to line my food waste caddy?

You can use: plastic bags bought on a roll, for example, pedal bin liners, old carrier bags, bags that food has come in such as salad bags, cereal bags or bread bags, biodegradable and compostable liners or newspaper.

faq icon 16755 What should go in my black wheeled bin?

Anything that we cannot recycle. There are some things we cannot collect and should be taken to your local Community Recycling Centre (the tip or dump) these include; Garden waste, paint, asbestos, fluorescent tubes, gas cylinders, engine oil.

faq icon 16756 When is the Community Recycling Centre at Slyfield open?

These are the open times for Slyfield Community Recycling Centre. Read more >

faq icon 16757 What should I do if any of my bins or my caddy are missed on collection day?

If it has a label attached to the handle this will explain why it was left. If not, and it was ready for collection before 6.30am, report a missed bin by following the link below. Read more >

faq icon 16758 My bin has been damaged or stolen, what should I do?

If your refuse or garden waste bin has been damaged by our crew, they will have reported it and we will replace it free of charge. If it has been stolen or damaged by some other means, you will need to purchase a replacement bin from us. Please email us at customerservices@guildford.gov.uk or call us on 01483 505050.

faq icon 16759 My cardboard is too big to fit in my bin, what should I do?

Large boxes can be flattened and left next to your bin for collection.

faq icon 16760 I have difficulty taking my containers out for collection. Can you help?

Yes, if you are unable to move your bins or caddies to your designated collection point you may be eligible for additional assistance under the Council's assisted collection scheme. Please email us at customerservices@guildford.gov.uk or call us on 01483 505050.

faq icon 16761 What should I do with garden waste?

We do not collect garden waste in your refuse or recycling wheeled bins. Home composting is the best option for disposing of your garden waste. We also provide a garden waste collection service that you could subscribe too. Please see www.guildford.gov.uk/gardenwaste for more information.

faq icon 16762 How is the recycling sorted and reused?

The mixed recycling we collect is bulked at Slyfield before being taken to Biffa's Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) in Edmonton. Read more >

faq icon 16763 I have already purchased my own wheeled bin. Can I use it for collections?

No, only Guildford Borough Council issued wheeled bins are safety checked to fit onto the lifting device on our collection vehicles. Please do not use any other bin as we will not collect it.

faq icon 16764 Do I take my wheeled bin if I move house?

No, bins must be left at your property if you move house.

faq icon 16765 Does Guildford collect on bank holidays?

We do collect rubbish and recycling on bank holidays, except for over Christmas. Please check your calendar and our web pages for further information on rescheduled collection dates. Read more >

faq icon 16766 Do you collect textiles?

We collect textiles from a tied plastic bag (not a black bin bag) left next to your recycling or rubbish wheeled bin on your collection day. We collect clean clothes, linen, paired shoes, belts and handbags. This should be presented next to your wheeled bin for collection at the edge of your property by 6.30am on the scheduled collection day. Many charity shops also take textiles. We will try to recycle textiles wherever possible but Covid-19 has had an effect on the disposal market. This means we may sometimes have to send textiles to an Energy from Waste (EfW) facility.

faq icon 16767 I am a developer who would like to know the GBC guidance on the storage and collection of household waste

Please visit our planning page www.guildford.gov.uk/contributionsspd which contains the documents you need.

faq icon 19415 Where can I get a new food waste caddy from?

If you require a replacement green or silver food waste caddy, we would first ask you to collect from one of our local parish collection points. Read more >